|Pension affidavit, page 1 of 2, Thomas Nelson|
source: Georgia's Virtual Vault
- Although he had signed an oath in 1863 to no longer take up arms for the Confederate cause, Thomas indicated he was part of Company B, 34th Georgia Infantry for at least another year and did not surrender until 12 May 1865.
- Pinkney Hasty and Billie Murphy, the soldiers he stated he cared for, were also members of Company B, 34th Georgia Infantry.(2)
- Gen W T Wofford was William Tatum Wofford of the Georgia 18th. "Wofford's Confederate soldiers were the last significant troops east of the Mississippi River to surrender to the union." Their surrender took place 12 May 1865 at Kingston, GA.(3)
(1) "Confederate Pension Applications." Database and images. Georgia's Virtual Vault. Georgia Archives. http:cdm.sos.sate.ga.us:2011/cdm/
(2) Henderson, Lillian. Roster of Confederate Soldiers of Georgia , vol. 3. www.hathitrust.org.
(3) "W. T. Wofford", New Georgia Encyclopedia, http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org.