Monday, December 17, 2012

Some New Friends

I've got a few friends online whose posts help me learn more about researching my family's history.  You might decide to "like" them, too.

One online friend is Ancestry.com.  As a friend, I receive posts about upcoming webinars.  If I can't watch it live, I can watch it later through their archived broadcasts.  You don't have to have an Ancestry subscription to be a friend, just "like" their page.  A few months ago, I also received several status updates about an Ancestry.com contest featuring a trip to England.  No, I didn't win, but it wasn't for lack of entering, but perhaps I will win their contest connected to the recent release of the Lincoln movie.

Another friend on is Mocavo.com.  They are a relatively new Internet search engine geared to genealogy and family history.  As they say on their website,

"Mocavo filters out all of the irrelevant search results about living people and gives you one-stop access to information from genealogy libraries, state archives and family records." 
Mocavo is starting to move beyond searching just these records into other areas including a collection of college yearbooks, and they are using facebook as one way to publicize their services.  Thanks to a posting, I visited their site and looked through the entire 1928 Agnes Scott College yearbook where I learned a lot about an aunt's impressive college years.  Later I shared this link with a niece who will soon be heading to college.  My niece, in turn, enjoyed looking at college life 84 years ago.  


My newest friend is Evidence Explained, the book on citation and evidence evaluation.  Daily updates give me a brief description of a citation issue, sometimes with a reference to the discussion forum on the book's web site.  The 800+ page citation manual is not something one can read and comprehend in one sitting, but the daily postings give me the chance to grow in understanding the finer points of analyzing and citing sources, a little at time.

These are just a few genealogy entities with this particular online presence.  Maybe you will find some societies, vendors, or organizations you might want to add to your friends list.

No comments:

Post a Comment