Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Memories Ornament

In my husband's family, each Christmas we adults exchange token gifts, usually candy, fruit, or other goodies.  This year, I made something different to give each family, a Memories Ornament.



I know most Christmas ornaments don't come with directions, but this one does.  The idea behind the ornament is for us to take time to think back over the year, select several special memories and write each memory on a slip of paper.  The paper can be rolled or folded to put inside the ornament.  Every few years, a memory or two can be removed from the ornament (using tweezers, very carefully, learned from experience) and the memory shared again with others.

The ornament is also a way to remember some of the special events in our children's lives - a win in a volleyball tournament, rave reviews for a role in the school play, a high rating at a band festival, college acceptance letters.  It can also be an event as simple as playing a marathon game of Go Fish with a grandchild or recalling the view on a hike.  Whatever makes you smile and warms your heart can be a family story to celebrate.

It only took about two hours (plus glue drying time) to make the ornaments:  glass balls from a craft store, a few sheets of holiday scrapbook paper from my stash, ribbon from my Christmas wrapping box, glue for attaching paper to glass (Crafter's Pick Ultimate Glue), and a few minutes at a computer.  Even my husband was pleased with the way they turned out.

Years ago, a friend gave me a similar ornament.  I've been adding memories to it since 1997.  Just looking at my ornament makes me smile and think of the new memories I'll be adding to it this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Memories.

1 comment:

  1. That's a neat idea. Given space limitations being succinct is probably a plus.

    ReplyDelete