|Laptop keyboard before|
As I glanced over the post I was composing, I noticed that almost every word I had typed on my laptop was misspelled. I'm a former teacher. Stuff like that just shouldn't happen. As I looked more closely at my laptop, I saw a possible reason. In four years of use, I had actually worn the letters off a number of the keys, 13 of them to be exact! No wonder my typing caused such a mess.
|13 worn keys, highlighted in orange|
With a desktop computer, I could by a replacement keyboard for $15. Not so with my laptop. Individual replacement keys online were $5 each plus shipping. So I headed to my local office supply store to look for a better solution.
I ended up purchasing a cartridge of black tape with white lettering for my P-Touch printer. After doing a few sample letters, I came up with a size that closely matched the letters on my keyboard. In a few minutes, my laptop looked like this.
|Laptop keyboard after|
I actually did this repair over a month ago. The tape has stayed put, no loose pieces of tape, no edges sticking to my fingers as I type. I'd say it was a successful repair.
Now I can enter data into Family Tree Maker, write blog posts, add notes to my research logs, key to my heart's content. Sometimes, it is worth it to give a plan a try.